If you are currently registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA/Ahpra), the Nursing Council of New Zealand (NCNZ) or the Midwifery Council of New Zealand (MCNZ) you qualify for a Modified skills assessment.
Applicants must hold current registration as a nurse or midwife in Australia or New Zealand to be able to apply for the Modified skills assessment.
Steps for a Modified skills assessment
The following information and steps may help to minimise delays in the assessment process.
- See our checklist (174 KB) of required documents
- Read requirements for scanned copies before submitting
- View resources and a video on how to upload your documents to ANMAC – watch on YouTube.
Step 1. If you want ANMAC to assess and report on a period of paid overseas work experience, you will need to arrange for professional registration verification to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
ANMAC cannot report on periods of paid work where there has been no corresponding professional registration.
Where email is unavailable, the relevant authority can post the verification directly to:
Skilled Migration Services
GPO Box 400
Canberra City ACT 2601
Please note, ANMAC will not accept emails that are sent from free web-based email accounts. Emails sent from other addresses will be accepted at the discretion of the assessor.
If you are registered in Australia, you are not required to provide registration verification from Ahpra.
Step 2. Collect and scan copies of the following original supporting documents:
- bio-statistical page(s) of passport
- change of name documents (marriage certificate, decree nisi, deed poll)
- an official passport-sized photograph taken in the last 6 months
- graduation certificates and transcripts from all nursing qualifications – your transcripts need to include commencement and completion dates
- professional references (58 KB) to support your work as a paid nurse or midwife – for more information go to Resources. If you are an agency nurse you will need to provide ANMAC with a service statement from your employer detailing dates and hours of employment AND a professional reference written by a nurse who has supervised you in your role as an agency nurse
- Agent Declaration Form (21 KB) – if you have nominated an agent to act on your behalf
- If you are an Enrolled Nurse in Australia and have nursing qualifications from overseas, please upload your graduation certificates or upload a completed statutory declaration stating you hold no previous qualifications in nursing.
Step 3. Create an account on the login page. You can only apply once using the same email address. Please use different email addresses for multiple applications.
Step 4. Complete the Modified skills assessment application by:
- completing the online form
- processing your credit card payment – see our fee schedule for more information
- checking you received an email from ANMAC confirming successful receipt of your application and payment
- contacting us if this confirmation email is not received within 24 hours
- uploading your supporting documents, once payment is confirmed, by going to the my account section in the ANMAC portal
- contacting us if you experience difficulty with document uploads
- avoiding account deletion by submitting your application and payment within one calendar month of creating your account.